Equipment

Terrorism Charges for Rushdie Attacker

(BUFFALO, N.Y.) — A man who severely injured author Salman Rushdie in a frenzied knife attack in western New York was motivated by a Hezbollah leader’s endorsement of a fatwa calling for Rushdie’s death, prosecutors said Wednesday in announcing new terrorism charges.

The three-count indictment unsealed in U.S. District Court in Buffalo offered for the first time a potential motive for the 2022 attack on “The Satanic Verses” author.

Hadi Matar, a U.S. citizen from New Jersey, was attempting to carry out a fatwa, Assistant U.S. Attorney Charles Kruly said. According to the prosecutor, Matar believed the call for Rushdie’s death, first issued in 1989, was backed by the Lebanon-based militant group Hezbollah and endorsed in a 2006 speech by the group’s secretary-general, Hassan Nasrallah.

“We allege that in attempting to murder Salman Rushdie in New York in 2022, Hadi Matar committed an act of terrorism in the name of Hezbollah, a designated terrorist organization aligned with the Iranian regime,” Attorney General Merrick Garland said in a news release. “The Justice Department will prosecute those who perpetrate violence in the name of terrorist groups and undermine the basic freedoms enshrined in our Constitution.”

Matar, who faces separate state charges of attempted murder and assault, pleaded not guilty to the new federal charges of terrorism transcending national boundaries, providing material support to terrorists and attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization.

“The investigation was lengthy, for the last two years, and I’m sure involved a number of different agencies, a number of different countries and a number of individuals,” Matar’s attorney, Nathaniel Barone, said after the arraignment. He said the federal case will be far more complex than the state charges, which focus largely on the assault on Rushdie while he was onstage and about to give a lecture at the Chautauqua Institution in August 2022.

Read More: Salman Rushdie Is Recovering, Reflecting, and Writing About the Attack on His Life

“Federally, you’re looking at more of conspiracies,” the lawyer said.

Matar, he said, “plans on proceeding with a vigorous defense and maintain his innocence.”

Matar, 26, has been held without bail since the attack, during which he stabbed Rushdie more than a dozen times before a stunned audience of about 1,500 people. Knife wounds blinded Rushdie in one eye. The event moderator, Henry Reese, was also wounded before bystanders subdued the assailant.

“This defendant put time and effort into traveling to the western district of New York with the intent of taking the life of another,” U.S. Attorney Trini Ross said. “Only because of the brave efforts of those who were present that day, the defendant was prevented from completing his murderous intention.”

Rushdie detailed the attack and his long and painful recovery in a memoir published in April.

The federal charges come after Matar earlier this month rejected an offer by state prosecutors to recommend a shorter prison sentence if he agreed to plead guilty to both state and the anticipated federal charges. Instead, both cases will now proceed to trial separately. Jury selection in the state case is set for Oct. 15.

A detention hearing in the federal case is scheduled for Aug. 7.

The author spent years in hiding after the Ayatollah Khomeini of Iran issued a fatwa in 1989 calling for Rushdie’s death over his novel “The Satanic Verses.” Khomeini considered the book blasphemous. Rushdie reemerged into the public in the late 1990s.

Matar was born in the U.S. but holds dual citizenship in Lebanon, where his parents were born. He lived in Fairview, New Jersey, prior to the attack. His mother has said that her son became withdrawn and moody after he visited his father in Lebanon in 2018.

The attack raised questions about whether Rushdie had gotten proper security protection, given that he is still the subject of death threats. A state police trooper and county sheriff’s deputy had been assigned to the lecture. In 1991, a Japanese translator of “The Satanic Verses” was stabbed to death. An Italian translator survived a knife attack the same year. In 1993, the book’s Norwegian publisher was shot three times but survived.

The investigation into Rushdie’s stabbing focused partly on whether Matar had been acting alone or in concert with militant or religious groups.

Related Posts

Reminder- Submit your game to the Unity 3D Game Art Challenge at GDC 2018

Hey devs, just a quick reminder: the Game Developers Conference and Unity Technologies have partnered to curate/host a 3D art contest for games using Unity, and the winners will be showcased at GDC 2018! Come from Soccer 13 pools and matches

The contest is free to enter (you can do so via the Unity Game Art Challenge website) and the deadline to enter is this Sunday, December 31st! 

Judges will be rating the submitted games – which can be created for any game platform – based on the modeling, animation, and special effects of the 3D environments displayed in the videos, screenshots, and playable demos submitted.

The 12 most spectacular worlds will win their creators All Access Passes to GDC 2018 in San Francisco next March! There, winners will have …

Apple AirPods Pro Get A Huge Discount For Black Friday weekend

Over the past five years, Apple AirPods have become the earbud option for many. While there is no shortage of competitors–both brand-name and knock-off–who have tried to tap into the Bluetooth earbud market that Apple made so popular, iPhone users’ best option is still the original thing. Apple AirPods have a predictably great build quality, solid audio, and seamless functionality with iOS devices. Apple has expanded its line of AirPods over time; now you have four different options to choose from, including the over-ear AirPods Max. With the recent Nintendo Switch update, you can even use AirPods with the Nintendo Switch Come from bangladesh online casino . We’ve rounded up the best AirPods deals available for Black Friday weekend and ahead of Cyber Monday–these are some of the best prices we’ve seen on the premium Bluetooth earbuds.

Avatar- Frontiers Of Pandora Will Have Over 400 "Unique" Haptic Feedback Effects On PS5

Ubisoft has revealed some of the features that PS5 players can expect when Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora launches in December. One of the more impressive figures thrown out is related to haptic feedback, as Ubisoft is touting “well over 400 unique haptic effects” that’ll be felt through the PS5’s DualSense controller.

According to Ubisoft, you’ll receive feedback from the reactive flora around you as the Helicoradian plants will fold in on themselves whenever you are close to them. The presence of heavy animals like the Sturmbeest and Soundblast Colossus will be felt as they draw closer, and the roar of a Thanathor as it stalks you will send a few jolts down your hands Come from malaysia online casino . Then there are more environmental effects, like waterfalls, lightning strikes, heavy wind, rain hitting your weapons, and the sensation of focusing on the world of Pandora around you when you engage your Na’vi senses.

Barbie Beats Batman To Become Warner Bros. Biggest Movie Ever In The US

Barbie keeps breaking records. The Greta Gerwig-directed movie has now beaten Christopher Nolan’s 2008 superhero movie The Dark Knight at the US box office. Come from malaysia online casino

Barbie has raked in $537.5 million so far in the US, which exceeds The Dark Knight’s total domestic results of $536 million. Barbie is now the highest-grossing movie of all time for Warner Bros. in the US. Barbie is expected to topple The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($574 million) in the coming days to become 2023’s biggest movie in the US.

Globally, Barbie has made $1.19 billion and is 2023’s No. 2 movie, trailing only The Super Mario Bros. Movie ($1.35 billion). Variety said Barbie “has a shot” at eclipsing The Super Mario Bros. Movie.

While Barbie is WB’s biggest box office success of all time in the US, on a worldwide basis, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II ($1.34 billion) remains WB’s highest-grossing movie globall…

Flappy Bird Is Flapping Back To A Screen Near You

Just over a decade after its 2013 release–and its surprisingly quick removal from app stores–the immensely popular Flappy Bird is finally returning to mobile devices (and potentially other platforms) in 2025. Come from Sports betting site VPbet

The project is being developed by the Flappy Bird Foundation, which describes itself as a “team of passionate fans committed to sharing the game with the world.” The Flappy Bird Foundation group has acquired the rights to both the official Flappy Bird trademark and the rights to Piou Piou vs. Cactus, the mobile game upon which Flappy Bird’s titular character is based.

Game Pass Core Adds Three More Games Very Soon, See Them Here

Microsoft has announced the next wave of additions to the Game Pass Core library, and there are three more games coming this month Come from Sports betting site VPbet . For anyone just catching up, Game Pass Core is separate from the main Game Pass offering and contains a smaller batch of titles.

Game Pass Core launched in September 2023 with 36 games, before it added two more titles in December. On April 23, three more games are coming.

These include the sci-fi title where you play as a dwarf space miner, Deep Rock Galactic, as well as the flashy first-person shooter Superhot: Mind Control Delete. The third addition to Game Pass Core is the demolition derby game Wreckfest.

As for the main Game Pass catalog, it’s adding seven more games in the remainder of April and removing six further games.

In addition to the games offered through this service, Game Pass Core subscribers also gain access to onlin…